The start of the new Maserati Era coincides with a significant birthday. As it begins the modernisation work at the Modena plant and plans a big event for May 2020, when it will be starring on the global stage, the Trident Brand celebrates its roots and its more than a century of history. Indeed, it was 105 years ago that Alfieri Maserati joined forces with his brothers Ettore and Ernesto to open the “Alfieri Maserati” at number 1A on via de’ Pepoli, in the heart of Bologna.
The business was founded in Bologna on 1 December 1914, but officially the activities of the mechanical workshop began trading on 14 December. (Buy new Maserati Car)
The Maserati brothers were passionate about mechanical engineering and loved speed, quite happy to get behind the wheel of a racing car themselves, despite their many technical and commercial commitments. Another brother, Mario, contributed by creating the famous Trident logo (inspired by the Fountain of Neptune in the centre of Bologna) and their brother Bindo joined Officine Maserati in 1932, after Alfieri’s death.
The first car to bear the Trident Brand was built in 1926. It was the Tipo 26, a racing car which debuted at the Targa Florio that same year, winning first place in the class up to 1.5 L, with Alfieri Maserati at the wheel.
This was the first in a long series of successes, including two consecutive editions of the Indianapolis 500 (1939 and 1940), four consecutive victories in the Targa Florio (1937, 1938, 1939 and 1940), nine F1 wins and the 1957 F1 World Championship with Juan Manuel Fangio.
More recently, Maserati returned to its winning ways with the MC12, the car which, between 2005 and 2010, won six FIA GT international championships, the highest-level racing category for production-derived GT cars. The production site on Viale Ciro Menotti, where the plant is still located, officially opened its doors on 1 January 1940.
Read more related blogs: